Ok, so everyone seems to be drinking lemon water…what’s the deal?I know it’s been a thing for a while…but I wanted to look into whether it’s actually something I should be doing on the reg.
Foods are ranked on a PH scale from 0-7 (Acidic), 7 = neutral, 7-14 (Alkaline). Alkaline = good. In fact, so good that cancer actually cannot grow in an Alkaline state. So- why wouldn’t we all want to keep our bodies as Alkaline as possible? Well, because we all like to eat a variety of acidic foods (ie, meat, dairy). But, here’s why drinking hot lemon water in the morning can actually help kick start your day in an Alkaline state.
Lemon is acidic, right? It’s a citrus…all citrus is acidic, right? Well, yes and no. Once lemon is in your body, it converts to an Alkaline state. And to my knowledge, it’s the only citrus that does this.
Other Acidic Foods:
- processed foods
- bad oils (soybean, hydrogenated oils)
Positives to drinking lemon water…
- Lemon water in the morning helps put your body in an Alkaline state
- Lemon contains enzymes that support your liver. This is important because your liver is the fat burning organ in your body.
- The enzymes in lemon also help absorb iron in your body
- If you drink hot lemon water..hot or warm anything promotes regularity which is always a good thing if you know what I mean 😉
- 1 oz of fresh lemon is 20% of your vitamin C requirements for the day
- Helps with hydration
- Helps flush sodium which regulates bloating – such a plus
- Being hydrated helps control your appetite, so if throwing some fresh squeezed lemon juice in your water helps you drink more – do it! Controlling your appetite is good so you don’t eat when you’re actually thirsty and not actually hungry
I don’t know where you all are in your fitness / health journey…but I know that when I drink water all day I feel so much better and have fewer cravings. Drinking water is sometimes so underrated. Water makes you feel so good and helps flush out your system. If squeezing a bunch of fresh lemon in your hot morning water helps you drink more…by all means, squeeze away!
I know pool / beach season is coming and I keep thinking about that old saying “summer bodies are made in the winter.” I also just got the new VS magazine…sooo there’s a little motivation right there!
That being said, reminding myself to drink water couldn’t be more important, especially while working out regularly. Also, I’m getting married this Summer and obviously I want to look amazing for our honeymoon! If drinking water can help me do that…I’m in!!
If you’re feeling feisty, go ahead and make yourself a little detox drink – lemon, water, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, local raw honey, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. The Cin and Cayenne will just float on the top, so be sure to stir this drink forever so you don’t have the powder on top. Some people also blend, but that just takes way too much time. This drink can be enjoyed hot or cold.
Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar… I use Braggs, is like the best thing when you’re trying to detox. You can read all about it’s benefits here. It helps flush toxins, helps regulate weight loss, and can even be used as a skin toner…I mean this stuff is like coconut oil in that it’s all amazing goodness. They say online you should have a detox drink before every meal…I think I’ll have to make a big batch for the day so I can actually do this…but right now I manage to squeeze in 2 a week, ha!
Also, sidenote- it’s important to get raw local honey if you can. Eating local honey can help your body build up immunity to local things in your area like pollen, or a specific allergen, etc.
Happy Thursday Guys!
Also…how cute are these?! Perfect for summer drinking by the pool!!!